Libertyville Illinois History
The Devil's Gate, located on the north side of Lake Michigan in the city of Libertyville, Illinois, was hard to believe. The land, which covers 294,400 acres, is located in a county west of McHenry County, tucked between the Illinois River and Wisconsin, which borders the state of Wisconsin to the north. Originally it was part of a vast area that was described in the early history of the United States as the Northwest Territory.
The land was owned by the Potawatomi Indians on the Illinois River until economic and resource pressures forced the tribe to sell most of its northern Illinois land to the US government in August 1829. In August 1836, the Indians were given permission to move to what is now Kansas.
When the city became the county seat of Lake County, its name was changed to Burlington in 1839. The new name Burlington held until it was moved to Little Fort (now Waukegan) in the 1841s and then to Libertyville in 1850. It did not take long, however, for the county town to move from LittleFort to what is now Wauskegans in the 1840s and from there to Lake City in 1941.
When the county town was moved to Little Fort (today Waukegan) in 1841, the name Libertyville was changed again. The name of the town was changed again to Burlington in 1850 when it became the county seat of Lake County.
The Indians were still in the northeastern part of Illinois, and it was not until March 1, 1837 that the establishment of McHenry County (which included the present Lake and McHenry Counties) was approved. The name Village was changed to Libertyville when it became a county seat with the founding of Lake County in 1839, but it changed again to Burlington in 1850, with the name of the city of Burlington becoming a county seat when Lake Counties were formed in Lake, Cook, Kane and Cook Counties.
The current buildings fit the character of Libertyville, "said chairman John Robbins, while noting that the historic nature of Libertyville and its downtown made the change difficult to support.
Historian Halsey said the first child of a Libertyville native, named Albert B. Steele, was born. He told Patch that the story about the gate probably originated sometime in the mid-1980s. Budd bought the land to build his first home, a two-story brick house on the west side of the city. Wright was in his early 20s when he took his Lake County homestead to his friend and neighbor William Budd, the owner of Budd & Company, Inc. in Chicago.
In December 1836, the pioneering trio followed the river along the Indian Trail, shifted their route to Mills Creek, a few miles west of what is now Libertyville, Illinois, and headed west to Loon Lake, where they built a log cabin. Bolstered by this support, Bob Corinne expanded his vision by moving 35 miles north to Illinois when the well-known philanthropist W. Clement Stone bought and eventually donated a 70-acre farm. The community grew rapidly and more than 1,000 residents, most of them Lake County natives, reached Libertyville in 1881, which led to the creation of a town hall, school and library, as well as a train station and the John Locke Museum and Library.
Around this time, a rivalry began between the two sides of the city, with West Milwaukee residents calling the animal Neary, while East Milwaukee residents preferred the name Minnie. After Lake County was spun off from McHenry County in 1839, merchants worked to bring the county town to Libertyville under the new name of Burlington.
The Fould Macaroni Company, which moved from Cincinnati to Libertyville in 1906, was one of the first of its kind in the United States. Adler and Dangler's opened that year and became professionally independent.
The Metro station is located on the northern edge of downtown on Milwaukee Avenue and serves the Milwaukee District North Line, which runs from Union Station in Chicago to Fox Lake. Libertyville has its own train station, Libertytown Station, as well as a North Central Service station operated by MetRA, which offers connections to and from Chicago, Milwaukee, Lake County and the Chicago Metropolitan Transit Authority (CTA) at Union Station. The Metro station is located on Wisconsin Avenue, on the northern edge of downtown. It serves as the southern terminus of the Wisconsin District South Line and its extension to Milwaukee and Lake County, along with the Madison District East Line in Milwaukee County and part of the Milwaukee - District West Line, which runs from Fox Lake to Chicago to Union Station.
For more information, see "Libertyville, Illinois: Learn about the history of Libertyville and its history as a city in the United States. Regional newspapers that occasionally cover Libertyville include the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Daily News, as well as the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.